CBD Lip Balm Recipe
Hi! I’m sharing my recipe for making a simple, no frills, but still luxurious lip balm! You get my recipe, and a handy list of all the supplies you need, too.
This recipe does not offer sun protection—it’s what I use at night before bed, or on my cuticles or other dry spots. I’ve made more than 250 tubes of lip balm using this recipe.
I add CBD oil to my lip balm, and I share a little bit about why down below! If you make a batch, tag me on Instagram @imperi!
Where’d the recipe come from?
First, I checked out various books from the library and compared those recipes.
Then I hunted down a bunch of recipes I found on the internet and compared those recipes. I found a lot of common threads in terms of ingredients, and 'favorites' that everyone seemed to include in their favorite lip balm recipes. I also picked up a bunch of little details from people who had tried making lip balm before—best ways to fill a tray of lip balm, how to get it flat on top, what essential oils NOT to use, what ingredients react poorly with eachother, etc.
Finally, I took my three favorite commercial lip balms and compared those ingredient lists.
At this point, I created a first draft lip balm recipe. But I got curious and spent a little bit of time digging into the various properties of different oils, waxes and additives. There are entire websites dedicated to just explaining properties of different ingredients in cosmetics! This helped me better understand the formula, and is how I decided on a beeswax-based formula.
Then, I made the lip balm. The recipe I'm sharing here is my 4th iteration of this recipe. I don't really have any tweaks, but you might depending on what you like!
My Amazon Supply List
yielded 80 lip balm tubes plus some leftover
- 150 g beeswax
- 150 mL castor oil
- 150 mL almond
- ½ C + 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 ½ tsp + 10 drops vitamin e oil
- 1 ½ tsp + 10 drops essential oil OR use 50 drops of CBD oil
I use Rosebud CBD oil. This woman-owned company tests each batch and posts the results on their website. Be careful when buying CBD oil becuase it's not regulated consistently. Rosebud is a brand I trust.
I add CBD to lip balm because of the research coming out about CBD oil and skin! Here's a link to a roundup of studies.
- Place a clean glass container (I use a Pyrex container with a handle) in a pot of water. Bring water to a simmer.
- Measure out Beeswax, castor oil, almond oil, coconut oil and place into container. Wait until it melts.
- Once melted, add Vitamin E oil. Mix in.
- Turn off heat. Add in essential oils and/or CBD oil. (Be aware, the more essential oil or CBD you add, the softer the lip balm will become once cured. So, subtract a little coconut oil if you want more essential oils or CBD.)
- Take a clean pipette and suck up the melted lip balm and fill your lip balm containers!
- Once filled, you'll see divots in the tops of the containers. Fill your pipette again and add lip balm to the top until it creates a dome. Or, if the divot doesn't bother you, just leave it!
- Leave overnight to cure.
- Wipe off containers, add stickers/labels.
- Shrink wrap.
- Use within about 6 months.